During the January 15, 2013 meeting, the Board voted to leave the front gates open and unattended for limited time periods (during the day and at times the restaurant is open) while the CSD continued to evaluate the situation. The Board also requested that the matter be placed on the February meeting agenda and directed Staff to research the cost of upgrading our current system to one more capable of handling 24/7 closure. Additionally, Staff was instructed to continue to work with Castle & Cooke towards a mutually agreeable solution that would provide an appropriate level of privacy for residents while meeting the business concerns of Castle & Cooke.
The February 19, 2013 meeting was well-attended by members of the public. Staff reported that since the January meeting, the CSD had received approximately 15 emails and comments from residents requesting the gates be closed 24/7. Staff also reported that the costs to upgrade the electronic entry system were anticipated to be less than $8,000 and Maintenance Manager Hebard provided an overview of the capabilities of the proposed upgrade.
Staff’s report was followed by a presentation by Mr. Dave Haley who advised that Castle & Cooke had reconsidered it’s decision to withdraw funding for the staffing of the gates and proposed a new schedule for weekend staffing/funding. The Board and Mr. Haley negotiated several changes to the proposal, which resulted in expanded staffing hours.
Following Mr. Haley’s presentation, the Board opened the meeting to public comment and a number of those present voiced their opinion as to how the matter should be handled. While some who spoke recommended the gates be closed 24/7, most objected to 24/7 closure expressing concerns that it would adversely affect golf and restaurant operations which would be harmful to the community as a whole.
Upon conclusion of the public comment period and after a brief discussion by Board Members the following actions were taken:
- The Board approved the purchase of upgraded entry gate software and equipment at a cost not to exceed $8,000. Formal FY 2013 Budget revision to occur at the March 19, 2013 Meeting.
- Castle & Cooke’s staffing offer, as re-negotiated during the meeting, was approved and Staff was authorized to finalize the details with Mr. Haley.
- The Gate Operation Schedule approved at the December 15, 2013 meeting to remain in effect until Castle & Cooke begins their proposed staffing schedule.
- To allow for further review of the matter, Staff was directed to include the gate issue on the March 19, 2013 Agenda.
On Friday, February 22, 2013, weekend staffing began and as of that date, the front gate schedule is as follows:
Gate Open & Unattended
- Monday-Friday: 6:45 am – 5:00 pm
Gate Closed and Staffed
- Friday: 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm
- Saturday: 6:45 am – 8:00 pm
- Sunday: 6:45 am – 5:00 pm
Gates Closed and Staffed from 6:45 am – 5:00 pm on the following holidays:
- March 31, Easter
- May 27, Memorial Day
- July 4, Independence Day
- September 2, Labor Day
- November 28, Thanksgiving Day
- December 25, Christmas Day
The CSD will provide updates if the current schedule is modified.
Charlie Martin, General Manager
Saddle Creek CSD